Kim's Clicks

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Jazz wants a Wii! (Part 3)

This is intended to be read after you've checked out Kim Kaze's Wii long play session breakdown, as well as 'The Wii according to Mat'.

Having spent countless hours reading up on the technology, development, arguements and so on surrounding the Wii, getting hands on wasn't as shocking as it would be had I not been well prepared. Having spent ten minutes or so on it before, I was ready to tuck into the most anticipated game on the system most likely, Zelda - The Twilight Princess.

The only sections playable on this E3 demo were a small dungeon sample and a fishing section. I chose the dungeon first and slowly got to grips with the controls, as the guy helped me out. The first thing I noticed as with my previous ten minutes of Wii playing was I found myself pointing too high with the pointer.

Anytime I had to use the pointer on screen I'd have to drop my arm down more to my wait, or at least drop the aim down. Once I was aware of this, aiming was a breeze and I could arrow down a row of bad guys in no time. The movement of the nunchuck was superb, just running around naturally using the analogue stick, holding the z button to lock onto bad guys, and waving the nunchuck around to do whirling sword attacks.

Once you try the moves a few times it all seems 'natural' somehow, exactly what Nintendo promised from the system. I ventured through the dungeon and killed the boss, hurrah! I stopped a few times enroute to admire the views. It really did look pretty.

My only complaint graphics wise would extend to the whole system, whereby there seem to be more jaggies (not enough anti aliasing) than I'd hoped. But then I'm a spoilt PC Gamer.

Fishing was up next, and just like previous fishing subsets of rpgs (both Ocarina of Time and other rpgs have featured fishing), you find yourself strangely enjoying it even though you've no interest in real fishing at all. Possibly this is because you can actually catch fish unlike real life, and the fun of just chucking it out using the remote and then reeling a big fish in with the nunchuck spinning and the remote tugging up - it was all, again, 'natural'. Natural AND fun I'll point out. This will surely be going on my wishlist.

Excite Truck was the only other game I played a fair time on. I'd previously seen it and thought "what have they done to excite bike", and passed it off as a cheap tacky tech demo that would be no fun to play. How wrong I was.

After the initial turbulance of getting to grips with the movement sensitivity whilst holding the remote in 'handlebar' mode, I found myself sliding round the corners, turbo'ing over jumps and landing smoothly on any sloped surface, all using the remote's positioning. The racing was cheap and cheerful with item powerups to make things a little more fun and bonuses earnt by 'stunt' style landings and such, but it was definately fun - and what, ladies and gentlemen, is actually more important than that? Sure you might think it's an arcade style of game, no lastability and you wouldn't want to play it for a long time.

Playing for prolonged periods of time doesn't seem to be Ninty's aim with most Wii titles. Having said that, I could've happily played a lot more Excite Truck - it simply kept you on your toes, ENGAGED with the game. Had I been racing with friends or even better online it would've been great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home